Sunday, February 20, 2005

Intro:

Ditto on last post:

Some of you might wonder about me, so here is a short introduction to who I am and what I do. I am the mother of five wonderful, unique children. And as someone once asked me at a swimming pool, “Are they all from the same father”? The answer is Yes!
Twenty-five years of wedded bliss to the same man – well, not perfect bliss but thankfully the good days outweigh the bad.
Ten years ago I started to have a midlife crisis, but decided to overcome the crisis part by creating something in my life that would invigorate and renew me. I became a Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician and joined our local Search and Rescue team. Since that time, I’ve become an Incident Commander for SAR and actually run the missions, making the decisions that could affect someone’s life. Happily most of the missions end with a successful ‘find’ of a relatively healthy person. Those that don’t are very sad, but whether a person is dead or alive our job is to bring home a loved one so their family may have closure to a tragic event. SAR has kept me young at heart and physically I still do many things I enjoy such as climbing and rappelling, caving and backpacking. My body protests at the end of a long day, but it’s too much fun to let that stop me.
Three of my children have left home to start the process of making their own place in the world. Two are still at home, but not far behind the others. Then I suppose I will suffer from empty nest syndrome and have to travel to distant places for a cure. I suppose I can handle that; Italy, Ireland, cruises and of course many visits to the gambling Mecca’s of the Southwest, Laughlin and Las Vegas to name a few. So, to put it bluntly, life doesn’t come to a screeching halt when you reach 30, 40, 50 or older. You become mellower with time (like a fine wine) and your body slows down, but the only thing stopping you from enjoying life, is YOU!

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Wow. You're way more hardcore than even I thought. (Which was "very very", in case you're wondering.)
When you start to travel, swing on up to Frisco and we'll show you where the term "fine wine" came from!
;)

8:21 AM  
Blogger Kitty said...

It's sort of fun being hardcore, but occasionally I like a nice laid back evening. And I would love to visit you guys. I've never been that far North in Cali. and love wine tasting.
We went to Italy to celebrate our 20th anniverary and the bus dropped us off at 10 in the morning at a vineyard where we enjoyed tasting 4 different types of wine. Needless to say, after we returned to the bus and the tour guide started pointing out different sites of interest, we were all crashed out. But we revived by evening in time for another great Italian meal with much Vino. Salute! K:)

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...HOLY COW... what a ride!"