Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Contemplations on College...

I just returned from 5 days in Steubenville, Ohio. Two of our children go to college at the Franciscan University. It was really good to see them and know that they can take care of themselves, although Mom spending her money for needed (and frivoulous) items is nice. We ate dinner in Pittsburgh one evening, but most of the time we spent visiting and shopping for needed items. This was Parent’s weekend and there was a Medieval Fair on Saturday. That night was Karaoke and dancing. Mike sang a couple of songs and Leenie and some of her friends sang as well. I got swung around the dance floor and felt like I was back in the 50’s with all the swinging going on. Everyone seems very happy, although tired, since sleeping is not a requirement of college students.

Here’s something that crossed my mind while I was visiting there:
1. How did you choose where you attended college, if you did?
2. Was it your choice, your parents, bribery?
3. Did you have a choice?
4. If you’ve graduated, would you do it the same way if given the chance?
5. If you are temporarily on hiatus from school, do you plan to return to the same place?

6. When or if you have children of your own, how would approach the subject of
which college to attend?
7. Any other comments?


Our children sort of have a choice. It’s TAC or Steubie U., perhaps UofD, if you want our help in paying for it. If you get a scholarship somewhere else, we’ll help you decide if it’s a good place for you. Bribery, in the form of cars and “try it for a year” are a few of our tactics. In the long run, it seems to have worked and everyone is happy. One has graduated from TAC and is now in a graduate school of his own choosing. And, I know he really enjoyed TAC and the friendships he made there, although it is not an easy school.
The two at Steubie U. are good kids, but have a tendency to take the easy road. I've enjoyed watching them flourish and grow up a lot in the years they’ve been there. Steubie U. is more charismatic in nature then TAC and not quite as strict, and they both thrive on the fast paced life of the school. They are both in Christian households, Mike is in “The Brothers of the Eternal Song” and Leenie is in “St. Therese, the Little Flowers”. The households have intramural teams for soccer, rugby, baseball, football, etc. and all though they fight for the win on the field, afterwards, the friendships remain. The members of the households attend Mass together at least once during the week, go on retreats, have weekly meetings and prayer times. I went to one with Leenie, called “The Lord’s Day” and it was very moving to see the joy and faith that the girls have. These are just average kids, dressed for the most part like any kid you’d see on the street and acting just as silly, but when push comes to shove, they are there for each other and for anyone who needs their help. Christ is in the forefront of everything they say and do.
Having said all that, I feel that pushing our children to attend a Catholic college was a good thing (although I worried about it at the time) and we will be doing it again since there are still two at home. College is not easy wherever you go and no college is perfect, but the emphasis on Christ at a college makes the trials and temptations a little easier to deal with.
Hope all of you are well and enjoying the various things happening or about to happen in your lives.
In Christ, Kitty

4 Comments:

Blogger LMO said...

I'll try and answer a few of these...

I chose TAC because I was lucky enough to find myself at a high school my senior year where all of teachers were TAC graduates. I was so inspired by there love of knowledge and genuine enthusiam in the great books selections that we were reading that I went out to visit TAC. I had planned on staying for a few days, but actually only spent about 10 minutes in a classroom. I was so intrigued that I had seen enough. So it was my choice, and my parents followed along quickly once they watched the dorky little video tape which TAC mailed to our home. I went to TAC in August of 2001, and was asked to leave this April. I was too disheartened by the entire situation to even consider returning. I chose the school which I am attending now by looking only at price and my new degree plan. My parents have little involvement this time because I am paying my way through. I absolutely despise the entire atmosphere at this public college and I'm learning little. Actually, I am learning nothing and memorizing a little. I would love to return to TAC, but it's far too late now financialy, and whose to say that I could get back in anyway? I have no idea how I would handle the subject of college with my own children. So this is my college experience so far, and I hope this was what you were looking for or else I have just posted a very long comment!

11:20 PM  
Blogger LMO said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

It was exactly what I was looking for. Parents or in your case students, make choices. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I am hoping that even though we sort of forced our kids into a Catholic college, that they have been happy and content where they are. I'm sorry you had to leave TAC, but hopefully as the months go by, you'll settle into your new school. And you will always have the friends you made there even if you never return as a student. God Bless, Kitty :)

11:47 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

All of my kids have had different things they've wanted to do. But, giving it the old college try for a year helped them fall in love with where they were. My 2nd is a little frustrated with Steubenville's policies on some things, but the household that he joined seemed to be guys who were sort of renegades like himself, did crazy things like skydiving, jumping off bridges into rivers,etc. and that helped him except the spiritual part that has always been a little allusive. There is a place (college) ect. for everyone, it's just finding the right fit. I don't know if if you knew that one of Luke's law partner's son is at Westpoint. I wonder if they know each other. Thanks for the reply, hope thing are going well for you and if you get too cold, tell us and we'll send care packages of warm socks and soup. God Bless, Kitty :)

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...HOLY COW... what a ride!"