Tuesday, September 21, 2004

This is one of those forgotten memories....

except that I had a picture to remind me of it. Abilene, TX, 1973, Rodeo night on Campus. I wanted a belt buckle, but wanted to win it, not buy it. By the luck of the draw, I got the mean steer and my girlfriend got the nice one that just walked around for 8 seconds. My steer decide to come out bucking and I stayed on for 5 seconds. I got the concussion, the broken ribs and the sympathy of lots of cowboys. My girlfriend got the belt buckle.

After I had healed enough to drive, I went to the Western store and bought a buckle. It was cheaper than the emergency room bill. Plus, my Mom and Dad made me promise not to ride in another Rodeo. I obeyed them, but darn it, those few seconds were sure a lot of fun. And as our friend says, a Redneck's last words will always be,
"Hey Y'all, Watch This!!!

And you all thought I was hardcore now! Yee Haw, Kitty :-)

Sorry, the picture is 31 years old so the quality isn't that great. But if you look real close you can still see the terror on my face!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sean Schniederjan RKC said...

I've never thought that you were completely insane until I read this blog. Props to K! That is gutsy... and of course loco!

10:28 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

Well, NM and CA aren't too far apart. I'm sure somewhere around the area we could get into some good old fashioned trouble. And I agree, my rodeo days are over, but I'm sure that something is out there waiting for us. Hope things are going better for you now. I'm with two of my kids in Ohio at their college and they are wearing me out. Time to go home to my more sedate life of hiking around in the middle of the night looking for lost hunters, kids and weird people. God Love you, Kitty

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...HOLY COW... what a ride!"